We are excited to announce that Tritonman will once again be hosting a Draft Legal race! On Saturday, February 16, 2019 this fun style of racing will be brought back to San Diego and give racers a chance to compete in DL before Nationals! Note that age-groupers, collegiate athletes, and elite athletes will all be competing against each other--be prepared for a fast race! Each wave will be capped at 75 entrants.
In general, we will strive to follow USAT Junior Elite Series rules for this race: please read over the USAT Athlete Guidelines (pdf) before coming to our race. Who can enter
In general, we will strive to follow USAT Junior Elite Series rules for this race: please read over the USAT Athlete Guidelines (pdf) before coming to our race.
- Collegiate triathletes with extensive prior racing experience. You do not need to have competed in a draft-legal race before, but if this is the case, be sure to familiarize yourself with the rules beforehand.
- Age-group athletes may also enter this race, provided they have extensive racing experience.
- Professional triathletes are encouraged to sign up, and best of all, entry for you all is free!
- The field will be highly competitive. We'll post the list of registered athletes at the bottom of this page a few months before the race, and will update it weekly.
- Collegiate athletes: we'll initially hold spots for each collegiate team for 4 men and 4 women in our draft-legal race. We want all teams to have a chance to score points in the WCCTC omnium, so we'll keep a few spots in reserve until Feb 1st to make sure all teams can enter. After Feb first, collegiate teams can request more spots until the race is full. Coaches, please email email@example.com in order to get a registration link for your athletes. Collegiate athletes do not need to be pre-approved by our race committee -- we trust coaches to select athletes with sufficient race experience.
- Age-group athletes may also enter this race, provided they have extensive racing experience, including draft-legal races. Please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org detailing your previous racing experience.
- Professional triathletes are encouraged to sign up, and best of all, entry for you all is free! Please email us in order to get your discount code and a link for registration.
- Aero helmets are not permitted.
- Torso must be covered from race start to finish. Either a trisuit or tri-top + bottom are allowed
- Bicycle must have a traditional triangular frame; wheels must have at least 12 spokes and should be of equal dimensions; handlebars must be traditional drop-style with bar-ends plugged; clip-on aerobars may not extend beyond the brake levers’ foremost line and must be bridged; no bar-end gear shifters allowed; elbow pads are allowed
- The pre-race briefing (time TBA) is mandatory
- Athletes must move forward after the start signal
- Blocking or interfering with the forward progress of another competitor is not allowed.
- Helmet chin-strap MUST be buckled at all times when touching the bike
- Athletes overtaken (lapped) by the race leader on the bike course will be disqualified
- Unsportsmanlike conduct, including inappropriate language directed at fellow competitors, volunteers, or officials, may result in disqualification